Illinois National Guard Grant (ING)
The Illinois National Guard Grant (ING) is an entitled program administrated through the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC). ING pays for tuition and activity fees at Illinois public community colleges and universities.
To be a qualified applicant, you must:
- Be an Illinois National Guard member, defined as meeting one of these two criterion:
- be active in the Illinois National Guard or
- have been active in the Illinois National Guard for at least five consecutive years and had his/her studies interrupted by being called to federal active duty service for at least six months and be within 12 months after your discharge date from the Illinois National Guard. (These applicants may be eligible to receive an additional year of ING Grant Program eligibility. Eligibility under this provision is determined by the Education/Incentives Branch of the Military Personnel Office in Springfield, Illinois. Questions regarding your individual eligibility status under this provision should be directed to your chain of command, or to the Education/Incentives Branch of the Military Personnel Office at 217.761.3782).
- Have completed one full year of service in the Illinois National Guard
- Be an enlisted member or an officer
- Be enrolled at an Illinois public 2- or 4-year college
- Not be in default on any student loan, nor owe a refund on any state or federal grant
- Maintain an acceptable grade point average (GPA) according to the policy determined by your college
- Submit your complete application on or before the deadline date, based on the first term for which you wish to receive funds each academic year. For 2012-13:
- October 1, 2012 - Full Year Consideration
- March 1, 2013 - Only 2nd Semester (2nd/3rd Quarter) and Summer Consideration
- June 15, 2013 - Only Summer Term Consideration
- Use of ING Grant benefits is limited to specific periods of time.
- Assessment of eligibility unit usage is based on enrolled hours per term, not the dollar amount paid by the benefits.
- ING Grant benefits can only be used during terms for which the application is submitted prior to the corresponding deadline (for example, if an ING Grant application is submitted after the October 1 fall-term/full-year deadline but before the spring term deadline, then an applicant who is eligible for both programs could choose to use IVG benefits for the fall term, and ING Grant benefits for the spring and summer terms).
- Complete online Illinois National Guard Grant (ING) application
- Veteran must provide all DD214 Member-4s to our Veterans Office