MGIB-SR - Chapter 1606
Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
The MGIB-SR program is a monthly benefit for the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve consists of the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.
- Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. If veteran is an officer, he or she must have agreed to serve six years in addition to the original obligation.
- Complete the initial active duty for training (IADT)
- Meet the requirement to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT.
- Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit.
Veterans who elected to have their total service in the Selected Reserve credited toward establishing eligibility under the Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty may not use their MGIB-SR. However, if the veteran obligates another six years in the Selected Reserve, he or she can be eligible for both the MGIB-AD and the MGIB-SR.
Veterans may receive benefits until his or her eligibility period ends or when the veteran uses all their monthly entitlement, whichever is earlier. Entitlement is up to 36 months of full-time education benefits regardless of how long the veteran served. Eligibility ends the day of separation from Selected Reserve.
Rates are based on enrollment status and increase every October. For current monthly rates, please click here.
- Veterans must complete the 22-1990 or click here for the VonApp online.
- Veteran must have an active savings or checking account for direct deposit.
- Veteran must provide our Veterans Office with a DD214 Member-4 copy.
- Veteran must provide our Veterans Office with the VA's letter of eligibility of benefits.