MGIB - Chapter 30

Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (Chapter 30)

The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. There are four categories of eligibility for Chapter 30.

Category 1: for those who first entered active duty after June 30, 1985, and did not decline the MGIB in writing upon entry into active duty. Veterans should have paid $1,200 into their fund at the time of enlistment.

Category 2: for those with remaining entitlement under the Vietnam Era GI Bill®

Category 3: for those who were involuntarily separated for certain reasons or those who were separated under the VSI (Voluntary Separation Incentive) or SSB (Special Separation Benefit) program.

 Category 4: for former Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) participants who elected to convert to MGIB during the open window periods, and for a small group of National Guard members who were given a brief opportunity to elected MGIB.


  • Receive a fully honorable discharge.
  • Complete high school, obtain an equivalency certificate, or complete 12 hours toward a college degree, before you apply for benefits.


If the veteran did not complete the required period of service, he or she may still be eligible if he or she were separated early for one of the following reasons:

  • Convenience of government
  • Service connected disability
  • Hardship
  • Medical condition that veteran had before service
  • A physical or mental condition that interfered with performance of duty and did not result from misconduct on their part
  • Reduction in force (RFI)


Veterans have up to 10 years from the last date of separation from active duty, or when the veteran uses all their monthly entitlement, whichever is earlier. Entitlement is up to 36 months of full-time education benefits regardless of how long the veteran served.


Rates are based on enrollment status and increase every October. For current monthly rates, please click here.


  • Veterans must complete the 22-1990 or click here for the VonApp online.
  • Veteran must have an active savings or checking account for direct deposit.
  • Veteran must provide our Veterans Office with a DD214 Member-4 copy.
  • Veteran must provide our Veterans Office with the VA's letter of eligibility of benefits.