- MS (Zoology major, Wildlife Science minor), South Dakota State University, 1982
- BA in Biology, Sangamon State University, 1978
- AS in Biology, Lincoln Land Community College, 1976
- Loren P. Dallas Faculty Member of the Year, 2003
- NISOD, 1999
What position(s) did you hold prior to SIC?
- Biology Instructor and Lab Coordinator, St. John’s University
- General Biology Lab Program Coordinator, Marshall University
- Natural Sciences Technical Assistant, SIU-Edwardsville, School of Dental Medicine
What does SIC means to you?
Personally, SIC is a very special place to me. I met my wife, Cheryl, here in 1989. And, through the years, I’ve had the pleasure of teaching my step-son, James, and my daughter, Kate, in introductory biology. Overall, SIC represents a tremendous opportunity for our students to discover who they are as people and to gain knowledge and develop skills that they can take with them as they move forward in their lives and careers.
What's your favorite memory at SIC?
This is a tough question. I’d have to say that my favorite memories involve the many friendships that have developed over the years – some friends who have passed on, others who have retired and some who are still here!
What do you do in your spare time?
We do a lot of work on our house, so home improvement projects would dominate the list. I enjoy hiking and spending time with our dog, Annie.
Where’s your favorite vacation spot?
The Monongahela National Forest, West Virginia
In the movie based on your life, who plays you?
The Canadian comic/actor/humorist "Red Green." If appearances count for anything, we could be brothers.
If you could have dinner with anyone, who would it be?
My grandfather, Joseph Shultz. He was born in 1879 and died in 1940, so I never met him. He served in the army during the Spanish-American War, worked as a telegraph operator for a railroad, and homesteaded in western Oklahoma. He could teach me a lot about the history of our country.
What's the best piece of advice you've ever heard, or the best piece you can give to others?
"Always seek the truth." I heard this from Rev. Dille, an old Methodist preacher in West Virginia.