The Benefits of Physical Activity
Regular physical activity is one of the most important things you can do for your health. It can help:
- Control your weight
- Reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease
- Reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- Reduce your risk of some cancers
- Strengthen your bones and muscles
- Improve your mental health and mood
- Improve your ability to do daily activities and prevent falls, if you're an older adult
- Increase your chances of living longer
The recommendation to obtain these health benefits is 150 minutes of moderate (i.e. brisk walking) activity per week, whether it comes in the form of three 50-minute workouts or fifteen 10-minute bouts of exercise. However, if you are wanting to lose weight and keep it off, you will need a high amount of physical activity unless you also adjust your diet and reduce the amount of calories you're eating and drinking. Getting to and staying at a healthy weight requires both regular physical activity and a healthy eating plan.
How to Stay Active During the Workday
Every little bit counts, so try to work some (or all!) of these into your day:
- Do some desk yoga!
- Walk to chat with coworkers instead of emailing or calling.
- Stand while taking phone calls.
- Spend half of your lunch break walking-- check out our walking path or get outside!
- Do lunges or squats during phone conferences.
Outdoor Walking Path Option (1.28 miles)
You just walked 1.28 miles!