Frequently Asked Questions
Are online classes easier than face-to-face classes?
No, online courses are not easier than traditional or face-to-face courses. In fact, online courses challenge students to be engaged, organized, and responsible. You can expect to succeed in an online course if you put in as much study time as you do in any of your on-campus courses, maintain good time management habits, and are familiar with technology.
What computer skills do I need to take an online course?
You will need to know:
- How to use a word processing program, such as Microsoft Word
- How to type
- How to send email
- How to use an online discussion board
- How to do basic downloads from the Internet
- How to attach and upload files
You might also need to learn:
- How to download updates to your browser
- How to download and install special plug-ins
- How to zip and unzip files
What technology equipment do I need?
You will need:
- A reliable computer at home or wherever you plan to complete your online coursework
- A reliable Internet connection
- Microsoft Office 365 - which the College provides to students free of charge!
How do I learn to complete my online assignments?
- You can come to one of our face-to-face orientation sessions, held the first three days of each semester,
- Or you can use the Online Student Orientation (OSO) modules to practice and learn these tasks.
- All online and hybrid students are enrolled into the OSO course so you will have easy access to step-by-step instructions for completing eLearning tasks and assignments.
How long do online classes last?
Most online classes follow our regular academic calendar:
- 16 weeks in Fall semesters (Aug - Dec)
- 16 weeks in Spring semesters (Jan - May)
- 8 weeks in Summer semester (June - July)
- However, there are some "late start classes" in the fall and spring semesters that are condensed into an 8 week format. These are typically listed in the course schedule as "OM" sections.
How do I register for online courses?
- Students can register for an online course the same way they register for a traditional course.
- Visit our Admissions & Registration page.
How do I get technical help?
- Southeastern provides technical support for online students in several ways.
- Visit out Technical Assistance page.