Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment FAQ's

What does dual credit mean?
Dual credit classes earn students high school and college credit at the same time.  It is important to note that whatever grade you receive for a dual credit class is recorded on your high school grade card and college transcript.  Therefore, it is very important that you take your coursework seriously and do your best!

What are the admission and registration requirements for dual credit classes?
If you are planning to take a baccalaureate course, you must take the ASSET or COMPASS test and score at the appropriate level or have a 20 or higher on your ACT before registering for the course.  In most cases, the ASSET test is scheduled at your high school, but it can also be taken on SIC's main campus or at the Carmi Center.  The COMPASS test can be taken at SIC's main campus.  Both Career and Technical Education (CTE) and baccalaureate dual credit students must complete the High School Program Registration Form and have it signed by your high school counselor.

Will my dual credit classes transfer to another college or university?
The Illinois Community College Board requires that all baccalaureate courses be articulated with senior institutions or the Illinois Articulation Initiative.  SIC's baccalaureate courses have been articulated with most of the major universities in Illinois.  In addition, the college has articulated courses with Murray State University, University of Southern Indiana and Southeast Missouri State University.  Career and Technical Education (vocational) courses generally do NOT transfer, but apply toward an array of certificates and degrees (AAS) at SIC.  Even so, some courses, such as CIS 119, may transfer.  Students are strongly encouraged to work with an SIC advisor to determine exactly how a particular course transfers.

What is the cost for a dual credit class?
All of SIC's dual credit courses are offered tuition-free to students in its district.  (That's a savings of $106.00 per credit hour to students/parents on college tuition!)  Students may be responsible for supplemental costs associated with certain programs for items such as fees, book, supplies and insurance (where applicable).

What is the difference between dual credit and dual enrollment?
Dual credit classes are college level courses that are identified and accepted by the high school as meeting a high school graduation requirement (concurrently earns high school and college credit).  Dual credit classes must be completed during "regular" secondary school hours, typically between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.  Tuition is waived; however, either the student or the high school is responsible for all other related costs, including textbooks, etc.
Dual enrollment simply means that a student is still in high school and enrolled in a college-level class at the same time; however, the coursework does not meet any high school graduation requirement (only college credit is earned).  Courses are typically completed outside normal secondary school hours.  Tuition is waived; however, the student is responsible for all other related costs, including textbooks, etc.

Will my grade or withdrawal from a dual credit/dual enrolled class have an impact on my ability to obtain future financial aid?
Your dual credit/dual enrolled classes ARE counted toward Financial Aid Standards of Academic Progress.  In other words, your grades and/or withdrawals could impact your future financial aid.  For more specific information, students should refer to the current Student Handbook for complete details.