Cosmetology State Board Pass Rates
Cosmetology – Nail Technician
The COSMETOLOGY AND COSMETOLOGY TEACHER programs at Southeastern inspire the creative and professional aptitude of both men and women. Both programs are designed to give students training in the arts, skills and applied sciences that deal with adornment through care and treatment of the hair, nails and skin. The college also offers a COSMETOLOGY REFRESHER COURSE for students wishing to brush up on their skills. All options meet the standards and approval of the Illinois Department of Professional Regulations for educating the student, establishing state board preparedness and qualifying the student for the workplace.
Southeastern's COSMETOLOGY program prepares students for entry level positions in this exciting and stable career field and is structured to be completed in one year (three semesters). Students graduate with 38 college credits and log a minimum of 1500 clock (classroom and lab) hours.
Employment opportunities and salaries in the cosmetology field are based on attributes and factors such as experience, quality of work, speed of performance, dependability, enthusiasm, professional attitude, computer knowledge and education.
A professional career in cosmetology is limited only to the ambitions and desire of the individual. This profession offers advantages and opportunities in an artistic, creative and innovative field. The student may advance their career in different areas, such as:
- product educator
- nail technician
- makeup artist
- product demonstrator
The program also offers internships during the last semester of training. These internships allow students to perform hands-on, live work and affords an opportunity to network with employers. Admission requirements include, but may not be limited to:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- ASSET test*
- All entrance tests must be completed by date set by college
- Class size is limited to those applicants whose composite test scores are among the top 18
- Successful completion of any developmental courses as indicated by score(s) earned on ASSET test
The COSMETOLOGY TEACHER program prepares candidates to teach in a licensed cosmetology program and is perfect for those who wish to make a career change from stylist to teacher.
The program is 34 credit hours and courses taught cover topics ranging from effective writing and speaking to a survey of the science of education and educational psychology, as well as cosmetology teacher classes. Requirements for admission to the program include, but may not be limited to:
- signed letter of application
- Enrollment Agreement
- current cosmetology license
- fourteen verifiable CEU hours
- notarized affidavit(s) of verifiable documentation that shows proof of a minimum of two years experience within the last five years from employer(s) and/or clients
- two verifiable references from past employers/clients. Must include full names, addresses and phone number where references can be reached
- Copy of ASSET and/or COMPASS test results
The COSMETOLOGY REFRESHER course is three credit hours and involves an in-depth review of the methods and procedures of practical chemical application, hair treatments, hair styling, hair dressing, shop management, interpersonal relations, esthetics nail technology, as well as sanitation and decontamination as related to blood borne pathogens. Plenty of hands-on training is provided through 250 hours of lecture, lab and student demonstrations. Requirements for admission to the class include, but are not limited to:
- current cosmetology license, or
- current cosmetology teacher's license, or
- past cosmetology license in good standing with the State of Illinois, or
- completion of 1500 cosmetology program or its equivalent
SPACE IS LIMITED in both programs and the refresher course, so interested students should contact the Admissions Office at 618/252-5400, extension 4120 as soon as possible. Our toll free number is 866/338-2742